Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Political Ignorance

I have to write about the frustration I feel when close minded politicians and general members of Australian society demonise refugees. It makes me sick to the stomach the way some politicians use refugees to score election points without a second thought about the way these punitive policies impact on these vulnerable people.

They just don't seem to realise that refugee's take great risk to escape the trauma they experience in their home countries. Nobody takes the risks that they do unless they feel they have no other choice. Especially those mothers who bring their children.

I fell so sad to live in a country where so many people lack compassion for those who are different from us. I wonder if we were receiving refugees from Britain or America whether we as a country would be more compassionate?


No comments:

Post a Comment