Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A strange day


The day began with Sebastian, Marcus and I going to Early Intervention playgroup at Lifestart. It's normally a really busy and noisy play group as there are lots of kids with varying dissabilities and alot of new commers who appear to have autism. Today, Marcus my child without the disabiliy was the worst behaved of them all. He seems to be getting his moulers and was he cranky today. He threw a full tantrum today during circle time and had to be removed from the group. What a spirited little boy! The strange thing is that he was an angel yesterday.

After group I took the boys shopping. It was strange because today for the first time I witnessed so many people staring at Sebastian as if there was something wrong with him. I really have never observed such negative stares from strangers before. I'm a pretty positive person and always give people the benefit of the doubt. Even when people make offensive or politically incorrect comments to me about Sebastian I let it go , knowing that they mean well whilst aiming to educate them in a positive way. But today I just wanted to tell people to fuck off. I think this is the first time I have felt this way in the past 4 years.

Despite the negative behaviours of some today. The girl that works in General Pants danced with Sebastian for 15 minutes while I shopped around. He had her spinning and dropping to the ground and holding hands with him. What can I say he has a way with women 18-25 years old!

3 comments:

  1. The comment about Marcus made me laugh. He has a strong will but such a good heart. That smile just makes you melt. The girl in General Pants sounds lovely. I need a new pair of jeans!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your son is very cute. I love reading other mothers stories.

    Krista
    www.ashtonourangel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a similar experience yesterday, and it was mostly from other children which really stung. We are used to children being more open and accepting. My daughter is turning 5 soon and I don't think I have ever had such a negative experience. It doesn't help when your husband is an internalize it sort or person and doesn't understand why you are crying! Oh well bad days will always happen, lets hope they are in the minority.

    ReplyDelete